To correct the gross injustice thrust upon over 700,000 people, almost half of whom are African American who, as residents of D.C. are paying taxes to and dying for a government in which they have no say, Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (DC) has introduced H.R. 51, the Washington, D.C. Admission Act in the U.S. House of Representatives and the in the U.S. Senate, Senator Tom Carper (DE) has introduced identical legislation, S. 631. These bills will make the District of Columbia the 51st state in the Union. Earlier tonight (February 11, 2020,) the House Committee on Oversight and Reform passed H.R. 51 out of committee and to the full House of Representatives with a positive recommendation. While no date has been set for consideration by the full House, a full floor vote is the next step.
- Jill Scott and H.E.R. Set to Perform at 51st NAACP Image Awards Jill Scott and H.E.R. Set to Perform at 51st NAACP Image Awards Airing Live on BET Saturday February 22, 2020 AT 8 P.M./7 P.M.
- NAACP Strategic Expansion to Support Policy and Advocacy Priorities
- Bill to make Washington DC a state is on the move!
- Congressman John Lewis Announced as Recipient of Chairman’s Award for 51st NAACP Image Awards
- NAACP Calls For Justice in the Hate Crimes Committed by Holden Matthews