To correct the gross injustice thrust upon over 700,000 people, almost half of whom are African American who, as residents of D.C. are paying taxes to and dying for a government in which they have no say, Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (DC) has introduced H.R. 51, the Washington, D.C. Admission Act in the U.S. House of Representatives and the in the U.S. Senate, Senator Tom Carper (DE) has introduced identical legislation, S. 631. These bills will make the District of Columbia the 51st state in the Union. Earlier tonight (February 11, 2020,) the House Committee on Oversight and Reform passed H.R. 51 out of committee and to the full House of Representatives with a positive recommendation. While no date has been set for consideration by the full House, a full floor vote is the next step.
- Statement on Loss of Civil Rights Icon Rev. Joseph Lowery
- NAACP Joins forces with WeTV, CBS and Notable Influencers to Push Underserved Communities to Complete 2020 Census
- Economic Stimulus Package
- Covid-19 Pandemic episode in our midst
- NAACP Calls COVID-19 Stimulus Package Stimulus a Necessary Step, but Calls Upon Congress to do More